Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Boxes are da bomb!

Let's get one thing straight: I love getting packages. This is not the usual like that most people feel for getting something in the mail - it's a problem. I. Flippin'. LOVE. Packages. It's something that's easily kept under control when Merk is in town, because he and I do tons of stuff together.

When he's out of town, though, watch out! It's not like I go insane and buy up tons of crap, but the stuff that I've been putting off because it just doesn't seem important? That stuff normally makes an appearance within a few months of him leaving. Like a replacement bra for my favorite worn-every-day-when-it's-not-stinky one. I was depressed last week when I noticed that the underwire on it had ripped its way out of its casing along 1/4 of the cup. Seriously, how did I miss that?

So once I noticed that, it was a slippery slope. It is far to easy to go trolling online to my favorite store and -- oooooh, it's buy one, get one half off? AND matching underwear that looks like it should be comfortable but is still cute?! Oh, my! Long story short, a few days later I was waiting for a modestly sized box. I love the impetus it gives me to check my mail box every day, the anticipation of bringing the box inside and staring at it for a few minutes while the cats investigate. I adore carefully cutting through the tape and exploring the contents. It's almost like receiving the box is 3/4 of the pleasure of the item itself.

Imagine my happiness, then, when Merk sent me a box a few years ago while he was on deployment. This thing was HUGE. At least 2 1/2 foot square, it arrived when I was asleep. My delight upon opening the door to see such a monster of a gift on my doorstep was immense. What in the world could he have sent me? After bringing the mystery box inside, I place it carefully on the floor and force myself to ignore it for a few hours. I spend some time with our cat, Frak, and water our only plant, a stunted pine tree about 1 1/2 feet tall that my mother had gifted me for the previous Christmas.

Eventually, the monolith waiting in the middle of the floor can no longer be ignored, and I get the scissors. I cut through the seeming yards of tape and lift the cardboard flaps. I paw delicately through the layer of Styrofoam peanuts lining the top, and freeze in confusion. Cocooned lovingly within the box, I have uncovered two dozen Aquaglobes.

Two. Dozen. Aquaglobes. If you didn't catch it when I mentioned it earlier - Merk and I owned one plant. One. Why would I be sent two dozen Aquaglobes in the mail? Believe me, I didn't have an answer for that one. The only response Merk came up with was, 'I got a really good deal!'

That's right, we're a very special pair. I love getting packages in the mail, and Merk can't control himself around a deal. He complains that I will never stop telling this story, and it's true. I never will, and that's because right then, standing in front of 2 1/2 cubic feet of blown glass that I (mostly) had no use for, I realized that sometimes I didn't want the box.

It's how I talk myself out of getting things I don't really need - I just tell myself that Merk will send a box of Aquaglobes in retribution.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. So much. Probably laughed aloud a bit much and startled J and the kitties ;)

    ReplyDelete